Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Better Sit Down.......I'm Gonna Be Serious For Once

Dear Family, Friends, and creepy stalkers who frequent this blog,

Let me start by stating I am NOT a runner. Those of you who know me can attest to this statement.  I have never claimed to be a runner, and after the events of this upcoming year I will probably STILL hold true to this claim. However, I started a personal journey almost 12 months ago in an effort to lose weight. I was no longer happy with the person I saw in the mirror, and I devoted my days to making a change for myself. I have seen small glimmers of success in my goals, but please know that this is a powerful long-term journey for me. During this transition of hope in my own life, I took to running as both a method of weight loss and stress relief. As a result, I have set new goals for myself in an effort to also offer a transition of hope for others.

On October 9th, 2011 I will be joining over 40,000 other competitors in running 26.2 miles along the streets of Chicago as a participant in the Chicago Marathon. Just saying the word marathon causes my heart rate to rise, my muscles to quiver, and my boyfriend to turn in the other direction. In case you were wondering......yes I have reconsidered this decision many times since clicking the "register" button over a month ago.  However, I have chosen to run not for myself, but for a cause very personal and dear to my heart. I will be running in an effort to raise funds for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

Those of you who know me understand that the topics of depression and suicide aren’t the easiest for me to discuss. My father has battled with depression for the majority of his life. I do not now and will never be able to understand the complexity of this dreadful disease. I can only admit that I have been a firsthand witness to the effect it has had on a once happy and loving husband and father. I am thankful for every day spent with him during my childhood. A man who was once known for his sense of humor and involvement with his children is now struggling every day to find a reason to smile. I hate this disease, and I hate what it has done to one of the most important men in my life. Depression gets in the way of everyday functioning, causes unbearable pain, and steals his energy and motivation. I know that my father will always be proud of the person I have become, and I am truly thankful that he has been able to witness all of my personal successes and failures. I thank God everyday that my father's story is unique in that he has survived attempts to end his own life. Other individuals have not been so lucky. Approximately ten years ago, my mother lost her only brother to suicide. With this choice, my uncle left behind two loving parents, his only sister, and three young daughters to mourn his loss. I can't begin to imagine the state of mind and the sadness one must feel to knowingly make this decision. My uncle would have turned fifty years old this year, and it is my goal to assist others in finding a way to see their own life milestones.

According to the AFSP, more than 33,000 people in the United States die by suicide every year. It is this country's 11th leading cause of death. Suicide is a much more involved phenomenon than just a response to a single event or set of circumstances. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is at the forefront of research, education and prevention initiatives designed to reduce loss of life from suicide. With more than 33,000 lives lost each year in the U.S. and over one million worldwide, the importance of AFSP's mission has never been greater, nor our efforts more urgent.

The AFSP also works toward increasing national awareness about depression and suicide and assists survivors of suicide loss. If you have lost a friend or loved one as a result of suicide or know someone currently suffering from depression, I would like to send my greatest condolences. My heart hurts with yours. If you have not, I pray that you never have to experience this loss. During my 26.2 mile run, I would like to send the message that I am not only running for myself, but in hope for change for my father and in remembrance of my uncle. If this disease or this choice has made a personal impact in your life, I would like to extend that message to include friends and loved ones of those close to you. If you would like to donate in someone's name, please let me know, and I will be sure to include his/her name on my shirt to notify others of this powerful message.

Now for the fun part.........I am asking you to consider supporting my participation and efforts. Donations may be made online by visiting my personal fundraising webpage and clicking on the "Support Me" button. You may also e-mail me at bigbocabob@hotmail.com if you would like to send a donation via snail mail.  I would like to raise over $500 to assist the AFSP in their continuing efforts surrounding this cause. Any contribution will help the work of AFSP and all donations are 100% tax deductible (I threw that part in for you, Titty Baby!).  Also....don't forget to tell your friends! For more information about the AFSP, please visit their website at www.afsp.org. Thank you in advance for your help in my journey.

Sending love and a smile,
Big Boca Bob
Pictures like this make me happy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...