Monday, February 20, 2012

I Am Mexican

I wear pants in the summer.
My childhood bedroom did not have access to the advanced technology of air conditioning.
I can eat a jar of jalapenos without breaking a sweat (this one may not be 100% true)

Due to my ethnicity, I feel have some innate response to temperatures below 50 degrees.

To rephrase: I HATE THE COLD!

So why, do you ask, am I participating in one of the most ridiculous events of all time?

Because it's for an amazing cause.

(and I don't handle peer pressure well)

True - immersing my body into ice-cold water may come with some serious bragging rights.

BUT I am pessimistic.
And inquisitive.
Both characteristics Officer Bob could have me do without.

So I used my inner reporter to investigate this annual display of stupidity.

Here's what I have found:

The Finns, Norwegians, and Russians like to finish off a stint in the sauna with a plunge in any icy lake, bragging of the benefits the cold water has on the immune system, the complexion --even the libido.

I am not Finnish.

I am not Norwegian.

I am not Russian.

I am MEXICAN.

Physiologically, your body responds to a cold plunge in three ways:
First, the small blood vessels constrict on the surface of your body as a defense mechanism, so you don’t lose heat. That means that a whole lot more blood is being squeezed into the same amount of blood vessels, which “serves to increase the effect on blood pressure."

Next, blood rushes from extremities to the core, chilling the limbs and leading to weakness and impaired motor coordination.

Finally, true hypothermia sets in. That's when core body temperature plunges below normal. If it falls far enough, heartbeat may be disrupted and breathing may fail, causing death.

Great.....what this says is "that I will plunge into freezing temperatures and my body will go into shock causing my blood pressure to rise. I will scream for help. Officer Bob will laugh. Hysterically. He will laugh for approximately 3 minutes too long without coming to my rescue causing my limbs to not work appropriately. He will finally feel bad enough to throw me a flotation device. However......because he spent extra time laughing at my discomfort, I will not be able to use my arms to hang on to said flotation device. I will remain limp in the cold water until hypothermia sets in, and Officer Bob is forced to show that he actually cares about me by diving in and saving me from DEATH."

Cool, Goldie!
Great Idea!

Now this is where I beg for donations so my dear friends and family can contribute to my stupidity. And of course for the amazing cause. All funds raised benefit the Special Olympics of Illinois. Having been a volunteer at local Special Olympics events, this is an organization near and dear to my heart. If my diving into frigid waters makes it possible for this organization to bring smiles to millions of faces, you better believe I'm in! I'm all in!

Please head on over to my team's donation page and throw in a few bucks.

That's right. I said team. As in "other people that actually think it's fun doing this."

If the Russians are right, my skin will be smooth as a baby's bottom, and Officer Bob will be one happy man.

I guess it does have its perks!

3 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I was blissfully unaware of what my body will actually go through when I plunge on the 4th. Could have done without this information.

First double digit mile races...for fun.

Now jumping into frozen lakes...for fun (and supporting a great organization).

What in the HELL will we consider "fun" next?

Big Boca Bob said...

I like to keep it real, Mrs.

I am going to avoid reading your blog. It seems as though every time you come up with some "FUN" idea, I somehow get roped into something similar. Like it's some kind of weird omen or something. The One Carbon Hill blog = off limits until further notice. I've had about as much FUN as I can handle!

Goldie said...

Hey, don't sweat it! You're only in the water for like 45 seconds and it's so cold, you don't even feel cold! It's more like a giant pincushion that you jump on to. Well, that probably didn't make you feel better... hm, well once you come out, you get to wrap up into a sweatshirt that never felt so warm and you get bragging rights for forever! Also, remember if my sissy butt did it last year and I'm doing it again, it means it's not really that bad, lol. Good Luck! You'll do great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...