Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Marathon Training Week "Does It Really Even Matter Anymore?"

In case you were wondering,

I.Am.Alive.

I realize my lack of blogging has had people questioning the state of my being, but I am happy-ish to report that I am alive and kinda sorta well.



In 5 1/2 weeks, I will be standing at the starting line of a 26.2 mile road to you know where. The training has been kicked up a notch lately, and I will tell you that my knees and back are cussing at me every step of the way. If my right knee could talk, I'm pretty sure words that start with f and b would frequently be shouted as I take step after step in an effort to be somewhat, kinda-sorta, not really prepared for this thing they call a race.

Here's my question.......is it still considered jogging if my speed walking pace is faster than my jogging pace? My vote - yes. Because I damn well say so and I'm gonna damn well step across that finish line no matter what it takes.

I've been researching effective training methods and techniques for preparation, and I just keep thinking to myself - Is your body REALLY ever prepared for 5 to 6 hours of torture? Doubtful. Especially since my body can't seem to make it past mile 12 without having to take a 20 minute potty break. Luckily my training runs take place on deserted country roads, and I'm able to somewhat tuck myself between a few stalks when nature calls. However, I highly doubt the city streets of Chicago will have such a fortunate hiding place. I just pray there are multiple gas stations along the route for such times. Many reports state that racers have no problem relieving themselves while in motion in an effort to meet record breaking times. I, however, have no problem running 3-5 miles COMPLETELY OUT OF MY WAY to make sure my bladder is comfortable. I may not be the classiest of individuals, but I would like to protect the small glimpse of reputation that falls under the somewhat respectable category.

All in all......I may not be exactly where I would like to be in my training, but I can assure you that this bucket list item WILL be checked off on October 9th, 2011. Simply because there is absolutely no way I am putting myself through such torture EVER AGAIN! Please keep saying prayers for me as motivation is starting to dwindle.....what gives me hope? The AMAZING charity that I am running for and knowing that I run so that someone else may live. Don't forget to stop by my website and make a donation for such an awesome organization. (http://afsp.donordrive.com/participant/bigbocabob)

With peace, love, blistered feet, and sweat-stained sports bras,

Big Boca Bob

P.S. Any suggestions of songs to add to the playlist to get me through my 19 mile training run this Saturday would be GREATLY appreciated. After three hours of extremely slow jogging, an upbeat, motivational song is pretty much the only thing I have. HELP!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...