Monday, May 6, 2013

Summer Fun Suggestions

With the tiny glimpse of warm weather this past week and my constant desperate need to get out of the house, I have recently started researching summer fun activities. Now that I am a wife to a third shift employee, it is totally up to me to create an affordable activity-filled itinerary for the upcoming months. This is where I am recruiting the help of my friends - both those I have and have not met. I would like to dedicate this summer to a series of firsts. This mindset was sparked by a recent purchase of a Vegas vacation totally made on a whim (But of course with my significant other's prior approval. Apparently you need that once you get married - total buzzkill for impromptu vacation planning.)

I have started a list of potential "firsts" I would like to accomplish this summer. This is where you come in. I need your help and expert advice for some of these. Any tips or suggestions for the following would be much appreciated:

  • VEGAS VACATION - National Lampoon Style
    • *reservations made* HOLLA!
  • FULL DAY HIKE (Picnic Lunch Included)
    • *any hiking hot spots you suggest?*
  • NOODLING aka Hillbilly Handfishin'
    • *I could not be more serious about this one and I MUST find a way to make it happen*
  • WINERY TOUR
    • *can you believe I've never done this before? possible girls' day? anyone wanna join?*
  • GO TO DRIVE-IN MOVIE THEATRE
    • *do these even exist anymore?*
  • ZIPLINING
    • *there has got to be a place somewhat local, right?!*
  • VISIT SMALL TOWN FESTIVALS IVE NEVER BEEN TO
    • *let me know of any good ones*
  • BIKE A CENTURY
    • *ride 100 miles in a day* I need help planning a route.

Any other ideas? Activities should be somewhat affordable, somewhat out of the ordinary, and somewhat entertaining for a soon-to-be 27 year old gal and her friends (if she can recruit them)

What does your summer schedule look like? Can we cross anything off our bucket lists together?

Every summer has a story. The memories are just waiting to happen <3 p="">


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gibson City Drive In! Was just completely updated---all digital, new concession stand, etc. Totally fun experience, have to try it! There are a few super cute wineries in the Peoria area too!
We've never met, but I read your blog often...I go way back with the Mrs. and her family! Congrats on your wedding too =)

Mrs. Lawrence said...

Definitely Gibson City for the Drive-In. Starved Rock for the hike. Labor Day in Toluca (my hometown) has a decent amount of activities (largest bocce ball tournament, beer tent, carnival). Constitution Trail in Bloomington/Normal for the bike ride although I'm not sure how long it is for sure. Mrs. Lawrence :)

The Mrs. said...

I want to walk the I&M canal from Morris to Seneca. Would that work for a hike? My plan: start in Morris, walk to Seneca, quench thirsts at a local bar. You in?

Big Boca Bob said...

JD in GC - Any friend of the Mrs. is a friend of mine! Thanks for the Gibson City Drive-In tip! I have officially added it to the must-do list on the summer schedule!

Mrs. Lawrence - Thanks for the fantastic suggestions! Maybe Owen can give me a tour of Toluca for the Labor Day festivities! :)

Mrs. - COUNT ME IN! You tell me the date and I'm there. Townie bars are my preference when it comes to hydration methods. P.S. Approximately how many miles is this said hike?

Anonymous said...

Love the new Spring look! Sounds like a busy Summer to me..Fun Fun...maybe a day at the lake?? I like to float! Gramma Poke

North of 10th said...

Love the new look!
GC represent! We don't have much but the drive in is enough!

It's a bit of a drive south but I saw Cameo vineyards in Greenup on tv once and it looks super cute and relaxing.

You have a great list so far! I hope you get lots of fun in this summer!

The Mrs. said...

It appears as though we're looking at just over 11 miles. No biggie!

Big Boca Bob said...

No trouble at all, Mrs! Summer I&M hike is a go.

Easy Rider - How 'bout a scenic ride to Greenup? We can dress cute, bring friends, and pretend to be girly! :)

North of 10th said...

How about this!! Just announced Red Wanting Blue will be at the Bruegala Beer Festival in Bloomington Friday August 23rd! Went last year had a blast lots of beers to try!

Big Boca Bob said...

Three words, Easy Rider. Yes. Yes. and YES! I haven't had a Red Wanting Blue fix in way too long! :)

Goldie said...

I have never been on a day hike or to a drive in theater either. Well, pretty much your entire list except that I have been to Vegas. It's fun! I want to take the kids to the drive in and go hiking for sure though. A whole day hiking sounds nice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...